Univ. of Michigan/NCAA
Height: 6’1″/ Weight: 165 lbs.
Physical Play Good
Offensive Play Excellent
Defensive Play Great
Hockey Sense Excellent
1. Johnson’s game revolves around lots of skill and offensive consistency; he is smart, shifty and boasts excellent puck skills
2. Extremely confident and gifted puck-handler who can fool any opposing player in any area on the ice
3. While Johnson is mostly known as a playmaker, he also has a tremendous shot, especially on the power play
Area’s For Improvement
1. He is an average skater; his first strides are weak and need to be worked on
2. Not an undersized skater but needs to add more muscle to his body.
Kent Johnson has made the transition from the BCHL to the NCAA appear seamless, recording 10 points in his first 10 games. He is a highly skilled player who is very elusive and creative with the puck. Johnson is also a fantastic passer who can set up his teammates consistently for scoring chances. He’s always one of the most consistent players on the ice, showing off his flashy hands and playmaking abilities; like Mitch Marner, this makes him very dangerous, with his ability to create space and create scoring chances for his team. Johnson is terrific at running the power-play; similar to Mitch Marner, he is always a threat to either score a goal or set up a teammate. He has all the offensive tools to be an elite center in the NHL but will need to build a bigger frame and improve his skating. Kent Johnson should be a lock to be a top 5 pick in the 2021 draft with his skill set and potential.
Top line Playmaking Center with excellent puck skills and offensive consistency.
Style Comparison: Mitch Marner
NHL Potential: 1st Line Playmaking Center
|2018-19||Trail Smoke Eaters||BCHL||57||20||46|
|2019-20||Trail Smoke Eaters||BCHL||52||41||101|
|2020-21||Univ. of Michigan||NCAA||10||2||10|
2 thoughts on “Kent Johnson”