Height: 5’10″/ Weight: 172 lbs.
Physical Play Good
Offensive Play Excellent
Defensive Play Good
Hockey Sense Excellent
1. Eklund is an elite level scorer and playmaker, combined with tremendous vision; this makes him a threat every time he carries the puck into the offensive zone
2. He is the highest IQ player in this draft and already understands coverages better than most NHL top-six forwards
3. Creates dangerous scoring chances for himself by getting to an open area, then using his quick release to beat goalies
Area’s for Improvement
1. Needs to bulk up a bit at least 5-10 lbs
2. Needs to improve on the velocity of his shot in order to be an elite scorer in the NHL
William Eklund is a late-2002 birthday, so he is a bit older than most of the draft class; his performance so far this year has been spectacular and impossible to ignore. His 14 points in 19 games in the SHL so far rank up there with the Sedin twins and Peter Forsberg for production at this age. While he may not be the franchise player that the Sedins and Forsberg were, Eklund should be a difference-maker at the NHL level. His play has elevated the play of the 7th overall pick in 2020 (Alexander Holtz) at times this year, proving that he is far more than a riding passenger playing with a veteran and a top prospect. Eklund can do it all offensively; he has the shooting ability to be a legitimate goal-scoring threat, added with the creativity and playmaking talent to be the facilitator. He has one of the highest IQs in the entire draft, combined with great vision and competitiveness. Despite not being the biggest player on the ice, he creates space for himself with good body positioning and has the ability to bounce off defenders. Eklund is a nightmare to match up against on nearly every shift because he is a wizard at creating scoring chances. William Eklund’s stock is on the rise, so it would not be shocking to see him being picked in the top 10.
A highly skilled offensive player, high IQ, elite vision and playmaking abilities plus a good shot
Style Comparison: Teuvo Teravainen
NHL Potential: Top 6 Point-scoring forward
One thought on “William Eklund”